Friday, January 06, 2006

Listen and Learn

Some of the smartest people I know usually do not talk too often. They are commonly seen participating here and there in a group conversation. Usually their contributions consist of questions that keep the real speakers of the group going. They remain silent, attentive, and to some, may seem boring or as if they are not a real participant to the conversation.

These are the people who, I find, typically know the most about things. I mean, think about it. Are you ever learning something while you are speaking? You may figure things out, or possibly reorganize your thoughts so that they make more sense but you are never really learning anything new by speaking. One of the best ways we learn is by listening. Therefore those who are quiet and spend their time listening have an advantage when it comes to learning.

Now I am not saying that everyone should just shut up so that we all become better learners. I suggest that, as with anything else, there needs to be a balance. Be sure to measure how much you speak to others and how much time you spend listening. Every conversation is a transaction, a transaction of information. If one side over does it many times both sides leave the conversation feeling awkward. So watch for the balance and be sure to do your share of listening. It can help your relationships and expand your knowledge of this world.

On that note I would like to remind everyone that you comments are very welcomed. Unless they are derogatory or completely unfitting I will publish them with the posting you associate them too unless you request I don’t.

Thanks and good luck in the New Year.

-M@

2 Comments:

At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen. I'll say no more.

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Erika K Silva said...

I love your blog...it gives me peace.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home